The article is authored by Dietitian Sheela Seharawat. She is one of the youngest successful entrepreneurs of India and founder & chief mentor of Diet Clinic Health Care Pvt Ltd http://www.dietclinic.co.in.
It could be a very heart-breaking and terrifying to know a child have diagnosed with cancer. Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children from 1 to 14 years old. The International Childhood Cancer Day observed on the 15th of February every year, highlights the needs for global actions to address the growing challenge posed by this non-communicable disease in children. The ultimate goal in observing this day is to create awareness and show concern for children fighting with cancer and their families and also to raise awareness for prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care along with providing valuable treatment facilities around the globe for all.
The need for good nutrition
Good nutrition is vital for children undergoing cancer treatment. Cancerous children need proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, fats, minerals and water in proper quantities.
Children suffering from cancer often have shown to have poor appetite due to many reasons like:
- Side effects from cancer treatments – Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy.
- Finding no taste in food.
- Mouth sores.
- Side effects from cancer medicines.
- Lack of appetite.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
Eating good, healthy and nutritious food provides strength to the body to fight cancer. It boosts the physical endurance to withstand the fight against this deadly disease and go through its treatment. It also improves the body’s immunity to defend against infections and makes them feel better in such scenario.
The Anti-Cancer Diet
Although so-called anti-cancer foods have no proven guarantee of cancer cure but have enough evidence to prove that these dietary choices help to reduce the risks of cancer.
- Include plenty of fruits and vegetables: With the full presence of vitamins and nutrients, fruits and vegetables reduce the risk of some types of cancer. Whole grains, legumes, and nuts, along with fruits and vegetables are a great defense against cancer.
- Use Olive oil: The form of monounsaturated fat can be used both as a cooking medium and as salad oil and in the prevention of cancer.
- Use of garlic and onions: Both garlic and onions block the formation of nitrosamines, powerful carcinogens that targets several areas in the body. The chemically active sulfur compounds in the pungent of garlic and onions prevent the development of cancer.
- Eat fish: Salmon, tuna, and herring — contain omega-3 fatty acids, a very effective fatty acid that reduces the risk of cancer. Flaxseeds are also a great vegan source of omega-3.